Travel info


Passport & visa

Passport & visa

  • IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT UNACCOMPANIED MINORS: If you are a parent or legal guardian for an unaccompanied minor, you must always produce a valid identity document at Check-in regardless of destination. 

    Some American airlines do not accept passengers between 2-15 years of age to travel alone without company of an adult (age 16). Check with your airline before you travel. 
Travel to the US
- important information for flights to the US

Important information for travel to the US

If you’re traveling to the US it is important to arrive to the airport well in advance of your departure, as you will need extra time to check-in and for security screening. This is due to additional regulations from U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) affecting all departures to the U.S. as of October 26th 2017, where all airlines globally must adhere to the same regulations. This also affects transfer passengers. 

SAS has the US covered from coast to coast. We've listed all the essentials below that you need to be extra sure about before you fly. This includes passengers in transit to another country through the US.

Important things to remember:

  • Passport
  • Booking and address for first night in the US
  • ESTA/Visa (where necessary)
  • Check-in
  • Baggage


News! E-Passport mandatory to/ via USA from 01APR2016
Effective 01APR16, all passengers must have an e-passport when travelling to/via USA under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), and hold an approved ESTA application. An e-Passport, denoted by the symbol on the passport cover, is an enhanced secure passport with an embedded electronic chip. E-Passports are issued by the proper passport issuing authority and must meet international standards for securing and storing information corresponding to the passport and bearer. Passports will be controlled manually at the airport.
  • You need a machine-readable passport that is valid for at least six months on the day of travel.
    Privacy notice
    The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires you to provide your full name, date of birth, and gender for the purpose of watch list screening, under the authority of 49 U.S.C. section 114, the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 and 49 C.F.R parts 1540 and 1560. You may also provide your Redress Number, if available. Failure to provide your full name, date of birth, and gender may result in denial of transport or denial of authority to enter the boarding area. TSA may share information you provide with law enforcement or intelligence agencies or others under its published system of record notice. For more information on TSA privacy policies, or to review the system of records notice and privacy impact assessment, visit the TSA website.

  • If you do not have a machine-readable passport or plan to spend longer than 90 days in the US, you must apply for a visa by contacting the local US embassy.

Booking and address for first night in the US

  • The name on your booking must match exactly the name in your passport. This should include your first name, middle name, surname, gender and date of birth.

  • Enter these details in your booking no later than 72 hours before your flight to avoid the risk of denied boarding. It is the passenger's responsibility to provide SAS with these details on time. If you haven't included these details when booking, you can add them here. This also applies to a redress number if you have applied for & received one from the US authorities (for example, if you have had repeated difficulties in getting your boarding card authorized). If you are a US citizen flying on an American airline & have applied for & received a Known Traveler Number, you can enter it here.

  • If you are departing within 72 hours, you must fill out these details when you book.

  • You must register the address where you will spend your first night in the US with SAS. This applies even to passengers in transit. This can be done when booking or under "Manage bookings." This does not apply to US citizens or green card holders.

Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)/Visa

  • Citizens of certain countries need a valid visa to enter the US. Others qualify for the Visa Waiver Program.
    Click here for countries in the Visa Waiver Program

    Andorra France Liechtenstein San Marino
    Australia Germany Lithuania Singapore
    Austria Greece Luxembourg Slovakia
    Belgium Hungary Malta Slovenia
    Brunei Iceland Monaco South Korea
    Czech Republic Ireland The Netherlands Spain
    Denmark Italy New Zealand Sweden
    Estonia Japan Norway Switzerland
    Finland Latvia Portugal Taiwan

  • If you qualify, you must apply online for the waiver. This is done using the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).
    Apply for ESTA ($14/passenger).

  • Fill out the ESTA no later than 72 hours before departure through the ESTA website. In most cases, the application is processed immediately, but it can take longer.

  • All passengers are responsible for ensuring they have registered with ESTA. Ensure that the details match your booking.

  • Your ESTA is confirmed at check-in through the information on your passport.

  • Without a valid visa or ESTA registration, you may be denied boarding.

  • An approved ESTA registration is valid for two years for unlimited entries by flight to the US. If you renew your passport during this period, you must re-register with ESTA for $14.

  • Passengers who do not require a visa or already possess a valid US visa do not have to register with ESTA.


  • For travel to the US, you can check in online or at the airport at a self-service kiosk or check-in desk.

  • If you are traveling from Stockholm to the US, you can check in at a SAS self-service kiosk, then collect your bag tags at the bag drop.

  • If you are traveling on an e-ticket and have not received a paper ticket, bring a printed copy of your itinerary that you received by email. The itinerary can be used as documentation if you travel onward in the US & when you return.


  • When checking in from Oslo or Copenhagen, use the SAS Self Service Kiosks to print your baggage tags.

  • When checking in from Stockholm, go to a bag drop counter to collect your bag tags.

  • When traveling to, from or through the US, please do not lock your luggage unless you have a special lock that is approved by US authorities or a TSA lock. If your suitcase is locked during the trip to, from or through the US and your baggage is subsequently damaged from being opened by US authorities, SAS will not compensate for damages.

  • Federal law forbids the carriage of hazardous materials aboard aircraft in your luggage or on your person. A violation can result in five years’ imprisonment and penalties of $250,000 or more (49 U.S.C. 5124). Hazardous materials include explosives, compressed gases, flammable liquids and solids, oxidizers, poisons, corrosives and radioactive materials. Examples: Paints, lighter fluid, fireworks, tear gases, oxygen bottles, and radio-pharmaceuticals. There are special exceptions for small quantities (up to 70 ounces total) of medicinal and toilet articles carried in your luggage and certain smoking materials carried on your person. Check with FAA for more info.  

Scandinavian Airlines © 2016

| Travel conditions | Site map | Agent sales info | About SAS | Feedback | Contact